Friday, September 21, 2007

Cut Off Your Hands, and clap.


New Zealand has given us quite a number of truly fantastic things. Let's see... There's the beautiful landscape in "Lord of the Rings", the earth shaking (or space and time shaking, rather) revelations in string theory, and, of course "Flight of the Concords".

Here comes another one from the music side, with less humor, but still strong on fun... "Cut Off Your Hands" (aka. "Shaky Hands"... I suppose they were too much of a bother). I heard about these fellows from friends in Austin, TX quite a while ago... And I heard the single "You and I" added it to my iTunes under "Driving Music" and didn't really thing too much about it after that.

Then, a few days ago I was listening to one of my internet broadcast channels and heard this tune "Let's Go" and it made my head swivel. It sort of reminded me of a high school version of "Never Say Never" and I was intrigued. The song is a bit of a departure from the rest of the album, but upon listening, I found nearly the whole album to be alive with a fun energy.

These guys have a little of all the great things form Iggy Pop, The Strokes and a number of other alike references. And, in another name dropper moment, they were produced by Seude's Bernard Butler.

Check them out:
.:MP3:. Cut Off Your Hands - You and I
.:MP3:. Cut Off Your Hands - Let Go